UK Graduate Human Factors Consultant - September 2022 Intake
UK Graduate Human Factors Consultant - September 2022 Intake
Ricardo’s UK Rail team is looking for talented, ambitious graduates with the potential to become technical consultants and future leaders of the business. This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. We are keen to hear from people who are driven, with ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
You will be joining an internationally renowned consultancy tackling projects across all aspects of the railway industry. Ricardo provides our clients – designers, operators, manufacturers, maintenance companies, and industry regulators – with specialist technical support including systems engineering, safety and environmental disciplines, to help improve performance, safety and sustainability.
As part of our Human Factors team, you will have exposure to a range of projects, analysing and advising on human performance risks and strategies, and guiding design teams through a human-centred design approach. Your work will help to make railway systems safer and more efficient, and help deliver new levels of comfort, accessibility and satisfaction for the customer.
Some examples of our current work include:
- Assessing Crossrail station designs to ensure they are accessible for People with Reduced Mobility
- Supporting the design of modern control rooms and traffic management systems to ensure effective supervision and control over automated railway operations
- Evaluating the fitment of new signalling systems into the driving cabs of freight trains, conducting assessments such as digital human modelling and working with end users, to deliver a fit for purpose cab design
- Undertaking research for the Rail Safety and Standards Board in the UK, investigating the application of rules governing train horn use - to try and help reduce track worker and pedestrian fatalities on the railway
You will be part of a multidisciplinary team and may be engaged on a range of current research and delivery projects, in partnership with a diverse list of clients and industry partners. We work alongside large, industry leaders such as Network Rail, Hitachi, RSSB and Transport for London, as well as new and innovative suppliers who are instrumental in shaping the ways that our railways will evolve and adapt to meet contemporary challenges. Why work for just one railway company when you could work with them all?
We empower, develop, and trust our people to help them deliver their best work within a culture that enables you to evolve, grow and succeed. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. New starters will be partnered with a mentor to support career development and to identify development needs and opportunities to meet the required competencies for progression toward chartership.
Assessing Crossrail station designs to ensure they are accessible for People with Reduced Mobility;
Supporting the design of modern control rooms and traffic management systems to ensure effective supervision and control over automated railway operations;
Evaluating the fitment of new signalling systems into the driving cabs of freight trains, conducting assessments such as digital human modelling and working with end users, to deliver a fit for purpose cab design
Undertaking research for the Rail Safety and Standards Board in the UK, investigating the application of rules governing train horn use –to try and help reduce track worker and pedestrian fatalities on the railway.
At Ricardo we are committed to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we are a signatory of the Women in Rail EDI Charter. We also take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies designed to support individuals, offering flexible working, a carers policy, mental health first aiders and our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
· Competitive salary
· 25 days holiday plus usual bank holidays,
· Buy and sell 5 days holiday,
· Company Pension
· Life Cover
· Permanent Disability Insurance
· Access to Perkbox
· Employee Assistance programme
· Access to private GP services
· LinkedIn Learning
· Ability to purchase flexible benefits such as dental insurance, private medical insurance, cycle to work scheme, medical cash plan, computer lease scheme, lease car etc.
We are seeking an intelligent and self-motivated graduate to join the team as a Graduate Human Factors Consultant. Based in our London, Derby or Bristol Offices, this role will provide the perfect first step into a consultancy career within an exciting and rapidly changing sector.
You will have:
· A relevant undergraduate or master’s degree in a subject related to Human Factors/Ergonomics, Psychology, Systems Engineering, or similar;
· A genuine interest in how we optimise human performance; including evidence of modules of study covering topics such as ergonomics, human-system interface design, human performance, psychology, or similar;
· Awareness of relevant Ergonomics methodologies and techniques, including task analysis and human error assessment;
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to deal effectively and professionally with people at all levels;
· A proactive, organised approach and a commitment to producing high quality work with a high level of attention to detail.
As a Graduate Consultant, you will need to manage your time across several projects, contributing at all phases from the preparation of proposals to help win new contracts, through to delivering the project and liaising with clients.
You will be responsible for the quality and delivery of your work, and liaise with other consultants to incorporate your contribution into wider project outputs.
We will also devote time to help you acquire valuable client management techniques and important interpersonal skills – delivering presentations, facilitating workshops, project management, people management etc. – to build up your commercial strengths.
You will gain all the benefits you can expect from a career in a respected technical consulting organisation like Ricardo, whether that involves taking advantage of opportunities to work on international assignments; a period embedded ‘full time’ on-site within client project teams; or just by being part of a global community of engineering graduates developing their knowledge and careers
together. We have teams working on railway projects in China, Australia, Middle East, Netherlands, Canada and the US.
As part of the Ricardo Group we are also closely aligned with the Energy and Environment Business and Automotive Business and there are opportunities to work across these teams to gain broader experience.
To apply, please follow the link below to our careers page.